Abou Edo Kimekomi Dolls
The origin of the name comes from the "settling" action.
～Traditional techniques live in small dolls～
Art Dolls is a doll made by digging a groove in a prototype made of paulownia sawdust, pushing the end of the cloth using the tool in the groove, and wearing costumes.
Many of Edo Kimekomi Dolls are relatively small, but this little doll is packed with many techniques traditionally backed up.
From Kyo to Edo
Beyond the time of 270
A small doll made by Tadashige Takahashi of the Kamigamo Shrine in Kyoto, which is about 270 years ago in the former Edo era (1736 - 41), is said to be the beginning of "Art Dolls".
Tadashige wood carved the willow tree of the surplus material after making a votive box, digged a groove, and caught the end of the priest's costume there.
These are transmitted to Edo, and the sophisticated and developed one is the current Edo Kimekomi Dolls.
Designated as a traditional handicraft of the country in 1964
Saitama prefecture is also one of the biggest production areas alongside Tokyo
Edo Kimekomi Dolls was designated as a traditional craft item by the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry in 1964.
Saitama area which was originated from Edo Kimekomi Dolls side by side alongside Tokyo is receiving designation at the same time.
A venerable recipe
As much as possible to leave it in future generations
At the time Edo Kimekomi Dolls was designated, the requirements specified by the Minister of International Trade and Industry were as follows.
At present, there are many times to use contemporary materials partially in terms of price, but for craftspeople, consciousness to firmly protect basic techniques is rooted.
- The foundation is to be made of paulownia, painted on the ground, cut out, etc., then overcoated more than 5 times.
- After donning to the muscle groove, make a set.
- Face drawing is done using face brushes, putting eyes, eyebrows, hairdrawing and lipstick.
- After blowing did "Suga be regulated well" hair, "Suga blows"; osurukoto. In this case, hairstyle assumes "constipated we put up" "percent hair" or "hairlessness".
【Raw materials used traditionally】
- Assume material to use for "kiri*" drill.
- It be said that clay to use for "unglazed head" has materials which are equal to white cloud soil or this.
- It be said that dough to use for dressing has materials which are equal to silk fabrics, cotton textiles or these.
- Assume thread to use for hair silk thread.
Source:-Traditional craft products Industry Promotion Association-